MOOC contents –
This is the outcome of the meeting December 9, 2015. We decided that the MOOC should consist of the 13 chapters presented below. Every chapter is managed by a group with a group leader (GL). We decided on the group leaders and part of the groups. There are still some group that can have more members.
We will try to have a workshop late January or early February. Before that each goup need to deliver the material described below.
To be delivered:
Each group should send a short description of their chapter a week before the workshop. The description is divided into the following three levels:
- Level 1: Title of the chapter
- Level 2 : Sections in the chapter. Each section is to be covered in one MOOC lecture (approximately 7 minute long lecture).
- Level 3: Content of each section defined by keywords. No text is needed.
At the work shop we will determine the level of the material start producing texts (manuscripts and reading material) to the keywords. We also have to consider:
- Lectures: Speakers
- Self work-exercices
- Prepare reading materials
- Discussion forum ? convener need ?
- Self operated system?
Level 1 and some examples of level 2
Please feel free to change the title of the chapter. Also the order of the chapters can be changed. The sections are just examples and can be changed:
- Introduction to accelerators-Christine (GL), Maja,…
- Why do we need accelerators? Applications.
- Short history of accelerators
- Basic principles
- Some different types of accelerators.
- ESS and MAXIV
- Accelerator physics-Sverker (GL), Anders, Francesca
- Lorentz force, electron volt
- Special relativity
- Dipole, quadrupole… magnets. Amperes law
- Relativistic radius for circular motion of particle in constant B-field.
- Resonances of cavities. TM010 mode of cylindrical cavity.
- Principles for different types of accelerators (cyklotrons, synkrotron, betatron…)
- Colliders-Erik (GL), Maja
- Particle and nuclear physics.
- LHC, ILC…
- Synchrotron light sources and production of light-Francesca(GL), Sverker
- MAXIV, LCLS…
- Neutron sources-Christine (GL)
- Basic principles
- ESS, HINS, JPARC, SNS
- RF-Anders (GL), Yogi?, Carlos?,Christine?, Anders Johansson?
- Basic principles. From DC to RF
- Amplifiers: Klystrons, solid state amplifiers, IOT…
- Waveguides: rectangular and coaxial. Phase speed and group speed.
- Basic principles. Power couplers. HOM. Wakefields.
- Superconducting cavities. Cryostats?
- Beam diagnostics-Maja (GL), Francesca
- Magnet technology- Søren (GL) (via Franz), Pauli
- Other technologies-Pauli (GL), Christine, Søren
- Accelerators for medical treatment-Søren (GL) (via Lars P), Christine
- Proton and ion therapy
- Maybe guest lecture of a doctor working with proton therapy)
- Pushing the frontiers-Erik (GL), Maja?…
- Plasma wake field acceleration