Outcome of meeting Dec. 9, 2015

MOOC contents –

 This is the outcome of the meeting December 9, 2015. We decided that the MOOC should consist of the 13 chapters presented below. Every chapter is managed by a group with a group leader (GL). We decided on the group leaders and part of the groups. There are still some group that can have more members.

We will try to have a workshop late January or early February. Before that each goup need to deliver the material described below.

To be delivered:

Each group should send a short description of their chapter a week before the workshop. The description is divided into the following three levels:

  • Level 1: Title of the chapter
  • Level 2 : Sections in the chapter. Each section is to be covered in one MOOC lecture (approximately 7 minute long lecture).
  • Level 3: Content of each section defined by keywords. No text is needed.

At the work shop we will determine the level of the material start producing texts (manuscripts and reading material) to the keywords. We also have to consider:

  • Lectures: Speakers
  • Self work-exercices
  • Prepare reading materials
  • Examples
  • Discussion forum ? convener need ?
  • Self operated system?

Level 1 and some examples of level 2

Please feel free to change the title of the chapter. Also the order of the chapters can be changed. The sections are just examples and can be changed:

  1. Introduction to accelerators-Christine (GL), Maja,…
    • Why do we need accelerators? Applications.
    • Short history of accelerators
    • Basic principles
    • Some different types of accelerators.
    • ESS and MAXIV
  2. Accelerator physics-Sverker (GL), Anders, Francesca
    • Lorentz force, electron volt
    • Special relativity
    • Dipole, quadrupole… magnets. Amperes law
    • Relativistic radius for circular motion of particle in constant B-field.
    • Resonances of cavities. TM010 mode of cylindrical cavity.
    • Principles for different types of accelerators (cyklotrons, synkrotron, betatron…)
  3. Colliders-Erik (GL), Maja
    • Particle and nuclear physics.
    • LHC, ILC…
  4. Synchrotron light sources and production of light-Francesca(GL), Sverker
    • MAXIV, LCLS…
  5. Neutron sources-Christine (GL)
    • Basic principles
    • ESS, HINS, JPARC, SNS
  6. RF-Anders (GL), Yogi?, Carlos?,Christine?, Anders Johansson?
    • Basic principles. From DC to RF
    • Amplifiers: Klystrons, solid state amplifiers, IOT…
    • Waveguides: rectangular and coaxial. Phase speed and group speed.
    • Basic principles. Power couplers. HOM. Wakefields.
    • Superconducting cavities. Cryostats?
  7. Beam diagnostics-Maja (GL), Francesca
  8. Magnet technology- Søren (GL) (via Franz), Pauli
  9. Other technologies-Pauli (GL), Christine, Søren
    • Vacuum
    • Cryo
  10. Accelerators for medical treatment-Søren (GL) (via Lars P), Christine
    • Proton and ion therapy
    • X-ray
    • Maybe guest lecture of a doctor working with proton therapy)
  11. Pushing the frontiers-Erik (GL), Maja?…
    • Clic
    • FEL
    • Plasma wake field acceleration
  12. Conclusions-All
Advertisements

Minutes from Kick-off Nov. 10, 2015

Chairman: Anders Karlsson

 

Participants:

Erik Adli – Oslo Uni

Francesca Curbis-LTH/MAX Lab

Christine Darve- ESS

Pauli Heikkinen – Jyväskylä Uni

Anders Karlsson – LTH

Niklas Nannskog- Lund Uni

Deana Nannskog- Lund Uni

Maja Olvegård-Uppsala Uni

Marieta – Lund Uni

Soren Pape-Møller-Aarhus Uni

Sverker Werin-LTH/MAX Lab

 

Secretary: Niklas, Christine

 

Excused:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda:

9.00-9.30                      Coffee and welcome (Anders)
9.30-10.00                      Administration, budget, rules etc  (Niklas)
10.00-10.30                       Evaluation of this year’s Summer School (Christine)
10.30-12.00                       Discussion about the 2016/17 Summer Schools 12-13.30 Lunch
13.30-13.50                       General information about MOOC (Deana, Christine, Maria & Marita)
13.50-14.30                       Discussion about MOOC
14.30-15.00                       Coffee
15.00-15.30                       Discussion about MOOC
15.30-17.00                       Discussion about seminars and webinars.
17.30-19.00                       Dinner

  • Round table presentation

 

  • Niklas budget presentation: The breakdown distribution of the 327 725 Euro out of 434 885 Euro requested has been detailed.
  • Money is allocated per planned work per university in the different Work Package (WP). Money is distributed when the time sheets in handled in. UHR – Swedish National Agency.
  • Niklas will take care of reporting to the European committee. Each University shall report the budget spent every 6 months to Niklas.
  • The proposal is to centralize the administrative cost, travel money in LU, i.e. Niklas will buy the travel accommodation and plane tickets, then report to cost by University.
  • 20 % of flexibility is acceptable for spending budget between the WP.

 

  • Christine presents the results of this year’s summer school, incl. Logistics and Course survey
  • This info should been sent to the lecturers from last summer school.
  • Proposal to involve JUAS after the project duration?
  • School feed-back:
    • The overall feed-backs are very encouraging.
    • We should have more social activities next year. Connect the students more next year.
    • We should check the accommodation, but we should probably keep the guesthouse due to the proximity of the lecture hall, and restaurant.
    • Materials are a bit too advanced for the students.
    • The school duration should be increase to at least 10 days of course.
    • The level and diversity of the students, courses choices, were well appreciated. Still improvement could be done to equalize the level of the entire summer school (3-5 years).
    • We need to send material that the students should read before the program to have a basic understanding.
    • Students want more labs/exercises.
    • The logistics of the lectures and labs needs to be reviewed, e.g. More applications topics and SRF courses should be planned. RF requires more information ahead.
    • The exercises need to be better prepared and should be put on-line ahead of time. Solutions must be provided at the end of the sessions.
    • Seminars with people from the industry should be more included. Where do you invite students from?
    • We should make up the criteria of applying and what we are looking for? Level, diversity, area of interest, motivation, grade
    • Can all people apply through Lund’s official channels?
    • We need to define the selection criteria for application. We proposed the number of students per each university: 3 students per university guaranteed.
    • Areas where they are from? Gender? Motivation statement? Letter of reference?
    • How do we advertise? Where should we be?
  • Anders showed the Moodle capacity. This very user-friendly platform could allow the student to start the school with a more uniform level of topic understanding.
  • Those questions could be sent to the students ahead of the course for them to get an understanding or bring them to the right level/refresh their memory.
  • The Moodle could be used to assess the student’s progress at the end of the school, and support the 3 ECTS obtained.

 

  • Marita presented the advantage of the MOOC to distribute the information on the Internet platform, via Coursera. Two MOOCs have been completed by LU since the program was launched. The statistic was presented. More than 500k view, 15,000 forum, 1934 graduated. The motivation/activity depends on the participant origin.
  • The example of “ Greening the economy” was provided.
  • TG for MOOC 1. Bachelor students 2. Users of accelerators 3. Companies
  • Purpose; Recruting students, developing teaching methods and materials (that can be used in reality).

 

  • Deana underlined that it can be used as a substitute and/or complement for the summer school; it should be seen like an appetizer.
  • A moderator for the MOOC should be defined and active on the possible forum.
  • The MOOC shall increase the visibility of MAX IV and the ESS in the accelerator community.
  • The future of the MOOC (after the project) will it un automatically by itself or is the teachers work required? Are we prepared to do this?
  • Do a webinar (FAQ style) after the first year?
  • It was discussed to have compendium or notebook (ask Anders)

 

Conclusions:

  • All the people who attended are now part of the international organizational committee.
  • Local organizational committee: Niklas and Anders
  • Responsible for MOOC: Deana, (Christine)
  • Responsible for Summer School: Anders + the people he chooses?
  • Summer school: 10 days summer school starting the 10th ending 24th We will be in Lund, but have more social activities than last year.
  • We answer vaguely to Arsonne.
  • Anders will check student applications from outside LU. Will it be difficult?
  • We need more social activities during the summer school
  • We should send out material to the students before the summer school
  • We can improve the projects themselves (within the summer school)
  • In 2 or 3 weeks the course will be approved – Anders will send info about that.
  • Niklas sends the official EU marks to be used for documents in the project.
  • We need to have a selection meeting during spring with the IOC
  • MOOC:
  • We agreed on TG and Level and objectives (see objectives above)
  • Anders sends a doodle on when we will meet and have the MOOC kick-off.
  • Don’t spend more than 5 days before we know more about what
  • Niklas will send the consortium Agreement when it is done (2-3 weeks)
  • 3 students guaranteed for each university in the summer school.
  • Put all the info on the website, incl. member list.
  • Send all the EU documents again.
  • A MOOC workshop is planned in January
  • The meeting for the IOC will rotate between the partners university.
  • The suggested MOOC budget to claim is 110 days, so appx. 15 days / university

Action items:

  • Need to define the student selection committee
  • Anders to write down the criteria’s and send them to the others.
  • Niklas to send the template for the activity budget by university.
  • Deana and Christine to complete the web-site.
  • Plan the MOOC workshop in Janaury

 

 

Workshop (1-2 March, 2016)

Dear all,

You are all welcome to the first NPAP workshop 1-2 of March. The meeting will take place at Örenäs Castle http://www.orenasslott.com/en/ Please confirm to Deana that you will participate or will not if you haven’t done so already!

Some of us go by car and we leave Lund at 9 am, so if you like to get a drive from Lund to Örenäs please contact Anders or Deana. For those of you who go by train you should go to Landskrona station (there are trains from Kastrup, Malmö and Lund). Please let us know at what time you arrive at Landskrona so that we can pick you up there. We will also help you with transports on your way home. Please also let us know if you need a room at Örenäs!

Here you find a map to Örenäs Castle!

Agenda

Day 1

10.00 Coffee

Welcome & Recapitulation

12.00 Lunch

13.15 The anatomy of a MOOC: Overview and discussions

  • Description: In this part we will focus on different aspects of a MOOC such as learning objectives, learning activities & assessment, interactivity and the teacher role.
  • Activities: Presentations and group discussions based on preparatory task 2.
  • Objective: Participants will have an overview of different components of a MOOC and have reflected upon pedagogical aspects of open online courses in relation to their previous experiences and their future task.

15.00 Coffee break

Cont.

16.30 Summary

17.00 End

18.00 Dinner (please send an e-mail to Deana  if you like to participate at the dinner

 

Day 2

09.00 Coffee

09.30 Script writing for lectures (Julius Kvissberg). See Preparation task 1 sent to you!

10.30 Course structure (group work)

12.00 Lunch

13.15 Course structure (group work) cont. & individual filming of your scripts

End (around 15.30  flexible according to your departures)

Welcome to the NPAP Kick-Off!

Dear all,

You are all welcome to the NPAP Kick-off meeting November 10. The meeting will take place at the Section of External Relations at Stora Algatan 4, Lund. It is located at walking distance from the train station. Here you find a map!

Please confirm that you will participate!

Here is the agenda of the day:

9.00-9.30 Coffee and welcome (Anders)
9.30-10.00 Administration, budget, rules etc  (Niklas)
10.00-10.30 Presentation of the outcome of the evaluation of this year’s Summer School (Christine)
10.30-12.00 Discussion about the 2016/17 Summer Schools and, if there is time, seminars and webinars. Anders presents Moodle which is an open source learning platform that we can use for examination.
12-13.30 Lunch
13.30-13.50 General information about MOOC (Deana, Christine, Maria & Marita)
13.50-14.30 Discussion about MOOC
14.30-15.00 Coffee
15.00-15.30 Discussion about MOOC
15.30-17.00 Erik Adli on Skype. Presentation of the outcome of our discussions for Erik and hear his view on that. Further discussions. Also discussion about seminars and webinars.
17.30-19.00 Dinner (please send an e-mail to Niklas Nannskog  niklas.nannskog@er.lu.se  if you like to participate at the dinner)